In August of 2013, we completed the Racial Equity Survey report of School Board Candidates. Each candidate was asked the following four questions. Click here for the full report in PDF format.
- What do you believe the most important information or message concerning schools, the school district and education is in the Coalition for Racial Justice’s Report ―Racial Equity in Iowa City and Johnson County? (a copy of the report can be found at http://www.racialjusticecoalition.com)
- Please describe the similarities and differences you have observed or know about between experiences children of different races or ethnic origins have in the Iowa City Community School District?
- ￼What are 3 priority actions the school district and the school board should take to ensure that children of different races and ethnic origins enjoy the same educational opportunities and are treated and disciplined equitably?
- The data from the 2011-2012 report indicates 33% of the enrolled students in the ICCSD are children of color, and yet 94% of the employees are white. If you believe this needs to change, what do you propose the school district do to recruit, hire, and retain persons of color to fill teaching, staff and administrative positions?
- Why should people who are committed to racial justice support your candidacy specifically?